600RR.net

600RR.net (https://www.600rr.net/vb/)
-   Oil and Lube (https://www.600rr.net/vb/90-oil-lube/)
-   -   Previous owner overtightened oil filter (https://www.600rr.net/vb/90-oil-lube/437713-previous-owner-overtightened-oil-filter.html)

RealityRush 04-10-2014 09:30 PM

Previous owner overtightened oil filter

And this is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/ZvDnHc7.jpg

Had to put a screwdriver through the older filter just to torque it off. Why do people do this? >.<

Channel-locks couldn't even get it off.

TheX 04-10-2014 09:37 PM

Some people end up putting the screwdriver through the oil cooler as well.

D1stylz 04-10-2014 09:42 PM

I know the feeling.

PatrickRR 04-10-2014 09:42 PM

They're on there really tight from the factory, a lot of people torque them to the specs listed in the manual. I don't torque mine super tight but you definitely wouldn't get it off without a filter wrench, or the screwdriver method you used.

RealityRush 04-10-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheX (Post 6286225)
Some people end up putting the screwdriver through the oil cooler as well.

Oh man, that would be brutal. I'd cry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRR (Post 6286289)
They're on there really tight from the factory, a lot of people torque them to the specs listed in the manual. I don't torque mine super tight but you definitely wouldn't get it off without a filter wrench, or the screwdriver method you used.

I have a filter wrench, even that wasn't enough to get it off. Whoever put it on tightened the hell out of it, way past manual specs. There's no point in over-tightening anyway, it'll bottom out against the metal and you wont crush the o-ring any tighter.

Tater S 04-10-2014 10:09 PM

Amazing how many times this same subject pops up. It's kinda like:
What's the top speed, Best slip-on, 180 or 190 rear tire, best windscreen, etc. Well ok, maybe not as bad but it keeps popping up.

It probably wasn't over tightened, it was more likely torqued to spec or the first filter change lol

A lot of the time when people can't get the filter off it's not because the filter was too tight, it's because they're not using a good stout filter wrench.
When tightened to spec a lot of the crappy $3-$10 oil filter wrenches that everybody carries just slip on the filter because they flex too much or are too lose of a fit.

I tighten mine to Honda spec every time.
I started out with the cheap wrenches (meaning I tried a few) and ran into the same problem.
Now I have the Honda oil filter wrench that nobody wants to purchase because it's too expensive and I haven't had a problem since. Go figure
Honda 07AAA-PLCA100

RealityRush 04-10-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tater S (Post 6286513)
Amazing how many times this same subject pops up. It's kinda like:
What's the top speed, Best slip-on, 180 or 190 rear tire, best windscreen, etc. Well ok, maybe not as bad but it keeps popping up.

It probably wasn't over tightened, it was more likely torqued to spec or the first filter change lol

A lot of the time when people can't get the filter off it's not because the filter was too tight, it's because they're not using a good stout filter wrench.
When tightened to spec a lot of the crappy $3-$10 oil filter wrenches that everybody carries just slip on the filter because they flex too much or are too lose of a fit.

I tighten mine to Honda spec every time.
I started out with the cheap wrenches (meaning I tried a few) and ran into the same problem.
Now I have the Honda oil filter wrench that nobody wants to purchase because it's too expensive and I haven't had a problem since. Go figure

And do you always only buy Honda genuine parts? ;P

I work with seals literally all day at work, hand tight would even be enough to seal the o-ring, anything beyond that you are doing so it wont vibrate off. It doesn't need to be so tight that a $9 filter wrench from Canadian Tire can't get it off.

Tater S 04-10-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealityRush (Post 6286553)
And do you always only buy Honda genuine parts? ;P

Like I said, I tried others BEFORE I purchased the Honda wrench. If I wouldn't have purchased it for $13 off ebay I'm not sure I would have purchased it. But I found out it works great, take it or leave it.
I figure Honda made the bike and they've probably tested everything to the point of failure. That includes the tightening spec on the filters that are made for their bikes.
If you don't want to tighten it that tight, don't.

harry-nyc 06-18-2014 05:43 PM

Everyone should just buy oil filter pliers and call it a day. Harbor Freight has them for $7, and come useful with aftermarket headers where you can't get the oil filter wrench to fit.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...lterPliers.jpg

Ldn 06-18-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry-nyc (Post 6607193)
Everyone should just buy oil filter pliers and call it a day. Harbor Freight has them for $7, and come useful with aftermarket headers where you can't get the oil filter wrench to fit.

Screw that nonsense.

Use a screw driver and a hammer. No need to spend money on proper tools as long as you have a hammer!

TheX 06-18-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldn (Post 6607465)
No need to spend money on proper tools as long as you have a hammer!

New sig.....

Ldn 06-18-2014 09:17 PM

Hah!

10char

370Z 06-18-2014 09:41 PM

Yesterday I had the same issue on my first 1000km oil change. Service Tech at honda told me to use the metal filter wrench they sell. I was done in 20 mn. without even having to remove the fairing.

Fritolay 06-18-2014 11:39 PM

Plastic filter wrenches are useless... you can buy the right size metal ones for under $10.

I don't tighten mine up that much. Till the o-ring first touches, then 1/2 turn.

cbrkat28 06-18-2014 11:48 PM

46 Attachment(s)
I have the cap type for a 3/8 ratchet...it sucks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Fritolay 06-19-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrkat28 (Post 6608257)
I have the cap type for a 3/8 ratchet...it sucks

In metal or nylon?

harry-nyc 06-19-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldn (Post 6607465)
Screw that nonsense. No need to spend money on proper tools as long as you have a hammer!

Son if you can't fix it with a hammer you got yourself an electrical problem - old proverb :drunk:

gmang35 06-19-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry-nyc (Post 6607193)

+1 on these pliers

Ldn 06-19-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry-nyc (Post 6609873)
Son if you can't fix it with a hammer you got yourself an electrical problem - old proverb :drunk:

I wish I could thank this post more than once.

cbrkat28 06-19-2014 01:36 PM

46 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritolay (Post 6608305)
In metal or nylon?

Metal...still sucks though

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

harry-nyc 06-19-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmang35 (Post 6610145)
+1 on these pliers

Funny cause I did an oil change on my truck (Honda Ridgeline) and used the ratchet version which kept slipping. I bought a smaller one but ended up being the same size. I was looking for a solution in my toolbox and completely forgot I had bought these pliers ever since I switched out to arrow headers on the bike. Saved me a headache, just took an hour between buying the ratchet and finding them. :banghead: I won't make that same mistake again.

WRXSTi0487 06-19-2014 05:31 PM

A good set of sticky gloves and strong hands of steel.... I had to use some channel locks the first time I changed mine though lol.

I have heard good things about this style from the Diesel truck community and plan on grabbing one with a wide range to work on everything I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403213296&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+filter+wrench

mran556 06-21-2014 01:52 AM

209 Attachment(s)
good channel locks also work in a pinch

honda put them on very tight from the factory