Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to replace the CCT with a new stock CCT

65K views 148 replies 52 participants last post by  rubina jason milburn 
#1 · (Edited)
Second write up for the day...

Well, as some of you are aware the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) on these bikes seems to like going on holiday after a while... I had to replace mine so I thought I might write this.

So first up, the new CCT:

The 'Special Tool' that is used to hold the CCT in the retracted position so that you can install it, my new CCT came with this:

The first thing you are going to need to do is take your right hand fairing off.

Remove the toolbox and move the piece of rubber behind it to reveal the CCT

Now take the timing cover off, so that you can see the timing marks - rotate the engine clockwise to align the 'T' mark with the index mark on the housing.

Loosen of the 8mm bolt on the end of the CCT, but don't remove it just yet.

Remove the two allen key bolts from the CCT, When you do so undo them the same amount at a time to try and keep the CCT from twisting in its housing. Once you have undone it remove it from the engine

And take the old gasket out

You can see here the difference between the old and new gaskets, they are metallic and the new one is clearly embossed but the old one has been squashed flat, it's definitely worth getting the new one for the extra $5 it will cost you.

Now you are ready to bolt the new CCT in place, once you have tightened it down good and proper (7 ft-lb for those who can get a torque wrench in there) you can now take the CCT retaining tool out of the back, it will snap into position.

Take the bolt and washer from the back of the old CCT and install it into the end of your new one.

Put the bike back together and your done!

See less See more
#10 ·
Because it's one more thing to adjust, and I don't like the "yeah that's about right" approach to adjusting it. I would rather have a stock tensioner in there that will do its job properly without the risk of the chain being over or under tensioned.

#12 ·
Generally about 50,000km however they have now redesigned it so hopefully it will be a little longer.

Even at if I do have to replace it every 50k, they aren't that expensive and they are bloody easy to put in....

#15 ·
The cct is your cam chain tensioner, funnily enough it keeps the cam chain at the proper tension which in turn maintains the timing between the cam shaft and crank shaft where it is supposed to be. It also reduces the wear on these components by dampening out any backlash that would otherwise occur.

#18 ·
There is a little notch taken out of the housing, that's your index mark.

Then there is the "T" as in Top Dead Centre, that needs to be lined up with the index mark, I just didn't have them lined up when I took the photo...

#22 ·
nice write up Nico, just got a quick question, how bad can it get if the old one is worn? I hear abit of knocking noise for a bit and steadily it's getting worst. I kinda broke since I just spend tons on a bunch of maintenance/upgrades parts. i'm guessing it can mess up my engine if it's too loose? which i guess could cause my cam chain to skip..

#23 ·
If it gets to loose then yep, cam chain may skip causing the valves to get to know the pistons a bit better than they care to.

It will take a reasonable amount of time to get to that point though...

#24 ·
Hey Nico, did the cct tool come with the cct or did you have to buy it seperately, I'm looking at some some online honda parts stores and I don't see it listed.

#25 ·
Nope, it comes with the new cct, and if it doesn't don't buy one cause you can cut one out of a bit of tin really easily... just look at the photos above.

#26 ·
Nico, how tight should the bolt and washer be once your pull out cct retaining tool?

#27 ·
Tight enough to form a seal, you don't need to wrench on it.

#29 ·
Just received my CCT yesterday and about to swap it out. The new CCT came with that special tool at the end of it.

Nico, will oil spill out if i remove the timing cover?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.